Saturday, April 10, 2010

Greening Up


It's been over a week since my last post - lots happening. My daughter's hockey team won the Brampton tournament last weekend, and this weekend they're in the Provincials! Very exciting hockey.

Anyways, back to life here at Victoria Park East. As you can see from the pic, the turf is greening up nicely. The weather has been decent, lots of rain last week, and lots of sun in the forecast. As you can also see, we have tarp covering some of our greens - actually, 11 of our greens are curently "partial play", and 2 of them are still temporary. Our mid-winter peak at the golf course was obviously too optimistic. In a nutshell, a nasty layer of ice on the greens caused a severy amount of winterkill. David and his crew have been working diligently on various procedures to help speed-along the recovery process, and so far he's cautiously optimistic that the putting surface on those affected areas will heal in a timely way. Most golf courses in the area have suffered the same fate.

So, for the meantime, we live with extended "winter conditions".

2 comments:

  1. I played Victoria Park West the other day. I was astonished at how good the putting greens were – smooth and true. Jason keep up the good work!

    I understand that the winter was not the most favorable but what happened at Vic East? Did David attempt to remove the ice? I have been doing some research on turfgrass management and I trying to comprehend everything I have seen. Needless to say, being a Golf Course Superintendent is a very tough job! David knows his stuff.

    I wish you well in your recovery effort.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ciao John, hope you and your family are all doing good. I'll be making my way back to Guelph the first week in May. Can't wait to start playing!! Looking forward to seeing you and all the staff at Big Vic. Awesome Masters, Go Tiger!! Walter C.

    ReplyDelete